Music can be used as a powerful tool for expression, creativity, and self-reflection. There are many ways to explore music through journaling, and creative writing prompts. Here are 101 creative journal prompts for music.
- What was the first album you ever purchased?
- Describe your favorite genre of music, and why?
- What favorite songs make you feel happiest?
- What favorite songs make you feel sad?
- What song reminds you of your childhood?
- What song reminds you of your teenage years?
- What song do you have on repeat right now?
- What is the most underrated song, in your opinion?
- What is the most overrated song, in your opinion?
- What songs do you know all the lyrics to?
- What music would be the soundtrack to your life?
- Write the name of your music teacher who first taught you music.
- What favorite song do you listen to boost your mood?
- What favorite song do you listen to when you need to cry?
- What favorite song do you listen to when you need to dance?
- Who is your favorite musician?
- Who is your least favorite musician?
- What song has the most meaningful lyrics to you?
- What sounds do you associate with a particular person in your life?
- What song would you like to be played at your funeral?
- What song do you think has the best music video?
- What song do you think has the worst music video?
- What are your favorite musical instruments?
- What song do you think has the most surprising lyrics?
- What song do you think has the best melody?
- Write a short story about a concert you attended.
- What song do you think has the best vocals?
- What song do you think has the best writing?
- Write one instrument you want to learn to play.
- What is your favorite sound?
- What song do you think has the best lyrics overall?
- What song inspired you the most?
- What is your least favorite sound?
- Describe your first concert.
- What song do you think is a classic?
- What song do you think deserves a remix?
- What song do you think has the best live performance?
- Who are your favorite pop artists?
- What song do you think has the best verses about love?
- What song do you think has the best verses about heartbreak?
- What song do you think has the best verses about friendship?
- What song do you think has the best verses about family?
- Explain your feelings when you met your favorite musician.
- Picture yourself being a part of your favorite music video, and explain what you are feeling.
- What sounds do you like to hear the most?
- What sounds do you like to hear the least?
- Do you have a passion for writing or singing songs?
- Write about the instruments you think are most fun.
- Do you enjoy karaoke?
- Do you enjoy listening to the radio?
- Do you have fun dancing with your friends?
- What song do you want to sing with your friend?
- What is your favorite musical poem?
- Who is your favorite rock band?
- What is the best song about hope?
- Who is your favorite boy or girl band?
- What song reminds you of your best childhood memories?
- What song do you think has made history?
- What is the best song about inspiration?
- What song do you think has inspired people the most?
- What instrument did you enjoy playing with other kids?
- What musical instrument did you enjoy playing with other students?
- What musical activities do you remember doing with teachers and students?
- What music did you play and sing with other kids?
- What music played an important part in your life?
- Do you think the ability to create music is art?
- What favorite poem do you remember as a child?
- What was the first song you ever learned how to play?
- What song did you listen to the most as a child?
- What are the lyrics of your favorite song?
- What is your favorite instrument, and why?
- What music genre do you listen to the most?
- What’s the most memorable concert you’ve ever attended?
- Do you listen to Ludwig van Beethoven? Write a few words about his style of playing.
- Which song has the strongest emotional connection to you?
- What is your favorite music era, and why?
- Does music help you focus or distract you?
- What do you imagine music will be like in the future?
- Imagine you are performing in a concert, what music will you play?
- Does your taste in music reflect your personality and mood?
- Did you ever play in a musical with other students?
- Do you like traditional music?
- Write a critical review of your favorite album.
- What’s the most recent song you’ve listened to?
- What’s the most iconic album of all time?
- Do you prefer live music or recorded music?
- What’s a song you can’t help but dance to?
- What’s the most romantic song you know?
- What’s the saddest song you know?
- What’s the angriest song you know?
- Picture yourself alone in the forest what birdsongs can you hear?
- Who do you think is the best singer in the world?
- What’s a song that always makes you feel empowered?
- What’s the most nostalgic song you know, explain your answer.
- What’s a song that always reminds you of summer?
- What’s a song that always reminds you of winter?
- What’s a song that always reminds you of spring?
- What’s a song that always reminds you of fall?
- What’s a song that you can’t stop listening to?
- What’s a song that you hate but can’t stop listening to?
- What’s a song that you love but can’t explain why?
What is a music journal?
You can use it to record details of songwriting and production processes, reflect on past performances, chronicle music listening experiences, record thoughts on different musical genres and artists, jot down notes on new techniques that you want to try out, and set personal goals for the future.
Writing in a music journal can help to keep track of your musical journey, inspire creativity, and even improve self-awareness. Additionally, it is a great way to practice self-reflection and critical thinking about your music practice.
Why is journaling important for music?
Journaling is essential for music because it can transform one’s music listening habits into a source of knowledge and inspiration. Active listening and keeping a music writing journal are critical components in learning music that aspiring and practicing musicians often overlook.
By analyzing every element of music without distractions and documenting the findings in a listening journal, musicians can identify new techniques to learn and find inspiration for their songwriting or production.
Additionally, journaling can provide multiple benefits for songwriters, such as improving self-awareness, processing emotions and experiences for inspiration, and developing writing skills. It can also track one’s progress and growth, essential for aspiring musicians.
What should I write in a music journal?
In a music journal, you can write anything related to your musical journey. This could include recording details of songwriting and production processes, reflecting on past performances, and chronicling music listening experiences.
Additionally, you could also write down your thoughts on different musical genres and artists, notes on any new techniques that you want to try out, and personal goals for the future. Journaling is a creative outlet that can help you practice self-reflection and critical thinking about your music practice, allowing you to gain a deeper understanding of your musical journey and progress.
What are journal prompts about a song?
- How does this song make me feel?
- What stands out to me most about the song’s production and arrangement?
- What do I think of the artist’s vocal delivery and performance?
- Does the song have a unique sound or interesting instrumentation?
- How would I describe the overall mood of the song?
- What messages does the song convey?
- How could I use this song in a live performance setting?
- Are there any similarities between this song and my music?
- How would I rate this song on a scale of 1 to 10?
- What do I think the artist is trying to communicate with this song?
- How could I incorporate elements of this song into my music-making?
- Is there anything I would change about the song if I had the chance?
- What other songs or artists does this one remind me of?
- Does the structure of the song have any meaning or purpose?
- What lyrics stood out to me the most?
Music is a universal language that transcends barriers and connects people from all walks of life. It has the power to inspire, uplift, and heal. Whether used for entertainment or therapy, music profoundly impacts our lives. From the earliest childhood moments to the final stages of life, music is a constant companion that shapes and defines our experiences. It is a reflection of our culture, our emotions, and our humanity.
As we explore the many facets of music, we discover new ways to express ourselves, connect with others, and make sense of the world around us. In this article we have shown music writing prompts for teachers, nature lovers, students, and music lovers, so grab your journal and start your writing journey.