December is a great time of year to reflect and look back on all that you’ve accomplished this year. Journaling is a great way to record your thoughts, feelings, and experiences. In this blog post, I will share with you some December journal prompts that can help you reflect and be mindful of the year that has passed.
These 101 ideas for journaling this month will help spark your creativity and get your thoughts flowing. From reflecting on gratitude and giving thanks to setting goals for the New Year, these daily writing prompts will keep you motivated and inspired all season long.
101 December Journal Prompts
1. What were your biggest successes this year?
2. What are three things you’re grateful for this month?
3. Describe a moment when you felt truly happy this year.
4. How can you bring more joy into your life this month?
5. Reflect on the most important lesson you learned this year.
6. What do you want to accomplish this year?
7. What is the best gift you’ve ever received?
8. How can you bring more meaning into your life this season?
9. Describe a moment when you felt truly connected to something bigger than yourself this year.
10. Write about a moment of success that you’re proud of.
11. What moments from this year will stay with you forever?
12. List three goals or resolutions for the upcoming New Year.
13. How can you focus on being present in each moment this month?
14. Describe a meaningful experience or journey you went on this year.
15. How can you practice self-care this month?
16. Consider the moments of joy and contentment in your life this year.
17. What inspired you this year?
18. How have the people around you enriched your life this year?
19. What did you learn about yourself through your experiences this year?
20. Write about something you’re passionate about this month.
21. Reflect on the relationships that have been important to you this year.
22. How can you bring more compassion into your life this season?
23. Consider a challenge or setback from this year and how it contributed to your growth.
24. Think of a new skill or habit you enjoyed learning this year.
25. What were the most important decisions you made this year?
26. How have your goals or priorities shifted this year?
27. Reflect on a moment when you felt proud of yourself.
28. How can you bring more creativity into your life this month?
29. Describe a moment of failure that you learned from this year.
30. What opportunities do you want to take advantage of in the New Year?
31. How can you strive for balance in your life this season?
32. Write about a goal or dream that you’re working towards achieving.
33. Think of something unexpected that happened to you this year.
34. How can you stay connected to your values and beliefs this month?
35. List three things that make you unique.
36. Reflect on moments of change from this year and how it helped you grow.
37. What did learn from being vulnerable this year?
38. Describe a moment when you felt content with your life.
39. How can you stay motivated and inspired this month?
40. Think of a time when you pushed yourself out of your comfort zone.
41. List three things that bring you joy this season.
42. How have the people in your life supported you this year?
43. What accomplishments are you proud of from this year?
44. Describe a moment of peace or calmness that you experienced this year.
45. How can you continue to invest in yourself this month?
46. What small moments brought you happiness this year?
47. Reflect on the ways that you’ve grown and evolved this season.
48. How can you prioritize your mental health this month?
49. Describe something that surprised you this year.
50. What are your greatest achievements this year?
51. How can you stay true to yourself this season?
52. Write about a moment when you felt completely alive and present.
53. What is your favorite winter activity do to with hot chocolate?
54. How can you be more mindful in your day-to-day life this month?
55. Consider a moment of joy or celebration from this year.
56. What greatest dreams do you have for the upcoming New Year?
57. Describe something that challenged you to think differently this year.
58. How can you celebrate your accomplishments this month?
59. Think of a moment when you felt truly connected to something bigger than yourself.
60. What did you learn about yourself through your experiences this year?
61. How can you make time and space for yourself this season?
62. What is your favorite story about gingerbread houses?
63. List your favorite stories about Santa Claus.
64. How can you express your creativity this month?
65. What moments from this year will stay with you forever?
66. Write about a moment when you felt truly connected to something bigger than yourself this year.
67. Reflect on the moments of change from this year and how they helped you grow.
68. How can you prioritize your mental health this month?
69. Describe something that surprised you this year.
70. What values do you want to live by next year?
71. How have your goals or priorities shifted this year?
72. What are some creative ways to celebrate the holidays?
73. How can you create meaningful and happy memories this holiday season?
74. What are some fun Christmas activities that you can do with your family and friends?
75. How can you bring more joy into your life during the holidays?
76. Consider ways to give back this season and make a positive impact.
77. What are some fun and unique holiday gift ideas?
78. How can you stay connected to the people you love this season?
79. What are some creative ways to decorate your home for the holidays?
80. Think of activities that bring you joy during the winter months.
81. Describe meaningful holiday traditions that you have with your family or friends.
82. What are some ways to practice self-care and make time for yourself during the holidays?
83. How can you bring more gratitude into your life this season?
84. Consider ways to add some extra cheer into your daily life this month.
85. How can you make the holidays a little more special for someone else?
86. Write about the joyous time filled with love and contentment that you experience during the winter vacation.
87. What are some of your favorite things to do on New Year’s Eve?
88. Describe a moment of connection that you experienced with someone special this holiday season.
89. How can you create moments of peace and calmness during the holidays?
90. What are some simple ways to show appreciation for loved ones during the holiday season?
91. Consider a way to make your New Year’s resolutions more meaningful this year.
92. How can you bring more positivity into your life during the holiday season?
93. What are some of your favorite holiday memories from years past?
94. Describe a moment of reflection or introspection that you experienced this holiday season.
95. How can you stay mindful and present while celebrating the holidays?
96. What are some unique ways to celebrate the New Year?
97. How can you make the most of this holiday season?
98. Write about a moment when you felt truly connected to something larger than yourself.
99. Consider a way to bring more joy and happiness into your life during the holidays.
100. What aspects of the holiday season do you cherish most?
101. How can you honor and celebrate your successes from this year during the holidays?
How to Setup December Journal
Choose a journal
Select a paper-based journal that speaks to you and reflects the season. Consider adding some festive touches like stickers, washi tape, or markers to make it your own.
Set aside time each day
Pick a specific time of day and commit to writing in your journal during this hour for at least 10 minutes. This could be in the morning, afternoon, or evening, whichever works best for your schedule.
Choose a prompt
At the start of each day, select one of the prompts below to write about. You can also use the list as inspiration and come up with your own ideas.
Once you’ve chosen a prompt, take a few deep breaths and begin writing. Don’t worry about grammar or spelling, just let your thoughts flow.
Consider additional questions
After you finish writing, take some time to reflect on the topic further by asking yourself additional questions that come to mind.
Read what you wrote
Once you’re finished with your journaling session, take some time to read over what you wrote. Notice any patterns or themes that come up repeatedly throughout your writing.
Reflect on gratitude
Consider what you’re thankful for this season and write down at least three things each day that you can be grateful for.
Set goals for the new year
Think about one goal that you would like to accomplish this year and write it down.
Celebrate your accomplishments
Reflect on what you achieved this year and take some time to acknowledge your successes.
Tips for Using December Journaling Prompts Successfully
Set aside a few minutes each day for journaling
Make it part of your daily routine and plan ahead so that you have the time to write, reflect, and explore your thoughts in depth.
Express yourself freely
Give yourself permission to express whatever comes up without fear or judgment. Let go of any expectations you might have about what should come out on paper and simply write.
Use prompts as jumping-off points and take your reflections in any direction you want. The prompts should serve as inspiration for self-discovery, so feel free to let your thoughts lead the way.
Don’t worry about mistakes
Don’t worry about grammar or structure when writing; focus on getting out whatever is on your mind in an authentic and honest way.
Start each entry with a reflection on the prompt, then add whatever else comes up for you. You can also include related questions or topics that come up in your reflections.
Keep your journal close
Keep your journal nearby and write down thoughts or ideas as they arise throughout the day. This will help you capture those fleeting moments of inspiration that might otherwise be forgotten.
Be kind to yourself
Honor your journaling practice and be gentle with yourself. If some days you don’t feel like writing, that’s ok too, just pick up where you left off the next day.
December writing prompts can help you reflect on the past year, set meaningful intentions for the upcoming New Year, and focus on the moments of joy and connection that this season brings. Whether you’re an experienced journaler or a beginner, use these tips to make your practice successful and enjoyable!