Gratitude journals are an incredibly powerful way to help foster a greater appreciation for your life and the people in it. Studies have shown that gratitude can lead to increased feelings of joy, happiness, and contentment. Not only is it great for our mental health, but by regularly expressing our thanks for the things we are thankful for we can create stronger relationships with those around us. In this blog post, I will share with you the top 101 gratitude journal prompts for adults and provide you with tips to get started.
Why should I use a gratitude journal prompt?
Gratitude journaling is a practice of documenting moments, experiences, and people in your life that you are thankful for.
Journaling prompts make it easy to be mindful of the small things that bring joy and happiness as well as acknowledging what brings fulfillment to your life.
Gratitude prompts can provide a sense of inner peace by allowing us to reflect on all the good that has been brought into our lives.
Using gratitude journaling prompts in your day-to-day life can help you be more mindful of your thoughts and feelings, as well as what is going on around you.
101 Gratitude Journal Prompts for Adult
Here is the list of gratitude writing prompts to help you write about something:
1. What are three simple pleasures you’ve experienced recently?
2. What opportunities have presented themselves this week that you’re grateful for?
3. Describe a moment in nature that has made you feel connected to something larger than yourself?
4. Who do you appreciate most in your life right now and why?
5. What changes have you noticed in yourself since starting a gratitude practice?
6. How do you give back to the world around you and why is it important to you?
7. Name three qualities about yourself that you’re proud of and why they matter to you.
8. Describe something mundane that brings joy into your life.
9. What small acts of kindness have been extended to you recently that made an impact?
10. What lessons from life has 2020 taught you so far?
11. What values are most important to your identity and how do they guide your life?
12. When was the last time someone went out of their way for you and how did it make you feel?
13. What goals have you set this year that you’re grateful for already achieving?
14. What do you love most about your job or favorite hobby?
15. What values do you share with your closest friends that bring joy into your life?
16. How has travel enriched your life and what memories are most meaningful to you?
17. Name two people in the past who have helped shape who you are today and why are they important to you.
18. Describe the moment when a difficult experience turned out to be a blessing in disguise for you.
19. How do moments of stillness help provide clarity on what matters most to you in life?
20. What is something that often goes overlooked and under-appreciated yet brings joy into your life?
21. What have been some of the most rewarding relationships of your life and why do they matter to you?
22. What creative pursuits bring out your best self and help foster feelings of pride and accomplishment?
23. How has living through a pandemic changed how you view the world around you and what values are now more important than ever for you?
24. Name three successes this year that make you proud of yourself even if no one else noticed them.
25. How do having strong boundaries help protect your energy and allow for greater growth in other areas of your life?
26. Describe a moment when you realized the power of letting go and trusting the process.
27. What is something from your past that you’ve been able to forgive yourself for and what did it teach you about gratitude?
28. How do habits like meditation, exercise, and journaling help ground you in moments of anxiety or stress?
29. What impact has living an intentional lifestyle had on your life and why is it important to you?
30. Name two people who have shown unconditional love towards you and how does this make a difference in your life?
31. When was the last time someone surprised you with kindness that made an impact on your day?
32. What makes your heart sing and how can you share more of it with those around you?
33. How do moments of stillness help provide clarity on what matters most to you in life?
34. What is something that often goes overlooked and under-appreciated yet brings joy into your life?
35. How has building resilience in difficult times helped shape who you are today?
36. Describe a moment when failure led to greater success down the line and how did this give rise to gratitude for the journey?
37. What values do you want to leave behind for future generations and why are they important to you?
38. Name two people from different cultures or backgrounds who have inspired you and what insight did they bring into your life?
39. How do self-care practices help nourish the body and soul and why is this important for overall well-being?
40. Describe a moment of kindness that someone extended to you that made all the difference in that day.
41. What challenges have you faced this year that allowed for greater growth or clarity down the line?
42. What blessings from childhood remain with you today and how does remembering them bring joy into your life?
43. Name one thing each day that brings a smile to your face no matter how small it may be.
44. How has taking risks led to unexpected rewards and what lessons did this teach you about the power of gratitude?
45. Describe a moment when practicing stillness allowed for greater peace and clarity in your life.
46. What advice would you give to someone starting on their journey with gratitude and why is it important for them to begin this practice?
47. How has understanding your strengths helped foster an appreciation for yourself and the unique gifts you have to offer?
48. Name three moments of joy from this week that made all the difference in how you felt by its end.
49. How does reaching out to friends or family during difficult times help foster feelings of connection and belonging?
50. What is something small that someone has done for you recently that brought a smile to your face?
51. Describe a moment when you realized the power of self-compassion and how did it impact your life?
52. How do you use gratitude to bring more joy back into your life daily?
53. What values have become more important to you since starting your journey with gratefulness and why are they meaningful to you?
54. Name two people in your life who have helped shape who you are today and why are they important to you.
55. When was the last time something didn’t go as planned yet allowed for a greater opportunity down the line and why does this still bring gratitude?
56. How can small acts of kindness help foster a greater sense of connection with those around us?
57. What is something that brings joy into your life?
58. How has travel enriched your life and what memories are most meaningful to you?
59. Describe a moment when taking the time to appreciate the little things made all the difference in how you felt.
60. What advice would you give someone who’s just starting on their journey with gratitude and why is it important for them to begin this practice?
61. How have moments of stillness helped provide clarity on what matters most to you in life?
62. What is your favorite thing about yourself?
63. What is your favorite hobby or activity to do in your free time?
64. What is the best memory you’ve ever made with a close friend?
65. If you could have one wish granted, what would it be and why?
66. Who has been the most influential person in your life and why?
67. When was the last time you laughed so hard that you cried?
68. What are three places that make up your happiest memories and why?
69. Describe a kind gesture that someone gave to you that left an impact on your life.
70. How would you like others to remember you when you are no longer here?
71. What do you think are the most important qualities of a good friend?
72. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be and why?
73. Describe how creativity brings joy to your life.
74. What book has changed your perspective on life the most and why?
75. How do your passions bring meaning and purpose to your life?
76. What is something that makes you feel alive every time you do it?
77. What do you think is the most important lesson that life has taught you?
78. What is the best advice you have ever received and why?
79. How do your values shape who you are as a person?
80. If you could pick one superpower, what would it be and why?
81. What does your ideal day look like and why?
82. Describe the moment when you felt most proud of yourself.
83. List all the things that make you feel grateful for life.
84. What unique strengths or talents do you possess that make you stand out from others?
85. Describe how spirituality helps to enrich your life in meaningful ways.
86. What is something that has helped bring more balance to your life lately?
87. What is something that you are passionate about and why?
88. What is the most meaningful gift someone has ever given you and why?
89. Describe a moment when you felt at peace with yourself and the world.
90. What do you think sets you apart from other people that makes you special?
91. Describe a place that brings out your best self and why it’s so important to you.
92. In what ways have you grown as a person this year?
93. List all the small moments of joy that make life worth living for you.
94. Who or what gives you strength in times of difficulty and why?
95. What is something that you are looking forward to shortly?
96. Describe a moment when you felt like your actions made a positive impact on others.
97. How do moments of self-reflection help enrich your life experiences?
98. What has been your proudest accomplishment so far and why?
99. When have you experienced true joy and how did it make you feel?
100. Describe how learning new skills or ideas brings joy to your life.
101. What activities do you enjoy doing with close friends or family members?
How do I start an adult gratitude journal?
Define your intention
What do you want to get out of your gratitude journal? By practicing gratitude we can identify things we feel grateful for in our everyday life.
Set a regular practice
Choose a time and place that work for you and stick with it. Use gratitude journal ideas and prompts for daily practice.
Don’t overthink it
Just start writing! Even if all you can think to write is one word, that’s great too.
Use photos, colors, drawings, or quotes in addition to words to express what you are thankful for.
Reflect on the past entries in your gratitude journal as inspiration for new ones.
Find something small
If nothing else comes to mind, focus on even the smallest thing that brings joy to your life.
These gratitude journal prompts for adults can help you get started on the practice of writing down what makes you thankful.
From reflecting on moments of kindness to appreciating the small things in our lives, these prompts will help us remember how blessed we truly are.
With consistent practice, gratitude journaling for adults can be a powerful tool for ushering more joy into our lives each day!